Monday, October 22, 2012

Masks? (Prov. 22:6)

"Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the teacher. "Everything is meaningless!"                     -Ecclesiastes 12:8 (NIV)

Have you ever had one of those days? Those days when you feel like you just can't do one more thing? Manage one more bit of information? Answer one more question? Help one more person?

If you are a teacher, chances are you have.

I truly believe education creates opportunities and experiences that can change a young person's life. Among my literary heroes were Professor  and Mrs. Baer (and I'm super-happy to know of any of you who recognize that reference), who dedicated their lives to helping children overcome obstacles. On the other hand, my heart broke a little every time Tom and Huck cut school, believing the only opportunities that mattered were the ones they hunted up for themselves, away from the stodgy grown-ups determined to ruin all their fun.

Stodgy grown ups, with an agenda that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the things that really matter to kids. Who don't have time to find out what their children are interested in. Grown ups who think they have all the answers, even before they hear the questions.

Growing up, I had a few of those teachers; the ones you just know must hate school or hate children, or both, but - thankfully - I had more of the good ones. I had more teachers who loved school. I had more teachers who loved children. I had more teachers who made me believe that I could do anything, be anything, try anything. Because they believed in me, I learned to believe in myself. And I overcame obstacles. And I found opportunities. And I've enjoyed many rich and rewarding experiences.
Custom Image by
my good friend, Jennie Fairall

Including becoming a teacher.

I got into teaching to make a difference. Not to review data and prepare for tests. Not to spend hours and hours on charts for sorting and labeling children. Not for meetings and workshops and systems and protocols for giving tests, teaching to tests, writing tests, scoring tests.

Yet I spend almost as many hours on data as I do instruction. Especially when you subtract from instruction the time for health screenings (because more and more kids don't get regular medical/dental care), counselor lessons (for anti-bullying and anti-drug and anti-gang messages they might not be getting anywhere else), daily recess (because otherwise they might never move around), pictures, concerts, safety drills, regular meals, and the other "stuff" schools routinely provide as services to our children and our communities.

I don't mind, not exactly. As long as all of that extra "stuff" is designed to help my kids learn, grow, and succeed I'll do it. I might not love it, but I'll do it. I'll even smile. I'll let the kids believe it all matters, that I don't mind any of it. Because I know that every look I give, every sentence I write, every test I mark is part of their training. I have no way of knowing exactly what will stick for each little soul I touch. So I do my best to make it all matter, to let the children know they matter - to me, and to the world.

Teach children how they should live,
and they will remember it all of their lives.           
-Proverbs 22:6 (GNT)