Monday, November 4, 2013

The Color of Courage (PS 104:24)

Umm...the month of October seems to have slipped away without a single post on this blog (or the other, for that matter). I wish I could say I've been busy doing amazing things, but... no, not so much. In fact, it was exactly the opposite. I was doing NOTHING, and so I had nothing to say.

In September, the local doc limited me to only necessary walking. It wasn't until October 18 that I got my freedom back. It was a little frustrating, but I remembered how far I'd come since April, and I waited.  Maybe not as patiently as I could, but I waited.

However, now that I'm in motion again, I'm free to do some exploring. 

It's fall. 
And it's lovely here. 



Durant Park

I can't help but be amazed at the awesomeness of the fall canvas God's painted for us. Such stunning colors. So crisp. So vivid. Bold. Cheerful.

And gone so soon. 

Sure, fall happens every year. But this fall only happens now.

There's a couple lessons I've learned from the trees in the last few weeks. 


1) It's easy to get so caught up in day-to-day stuff that we miss the simple beauty. I know I don't need to explain how report cards and RTI and lesson plans and grading and housework and shopping and sports and cleaning and cooking and ...  can just consume a person to the point of not being able to breathe - let alone notice the world beyond the hamster-wheel. I know you know all that. I know that. But every so often I have to be reminded to STOP. Stop and look around. I nearly missed an entire season. 


PhotCred: GlutenFreePrincess
 on Facebook (a personal friend)
So, consider this your reminder. Go. Go outside. Kick some leaves. Listen to the wind. Breathe. Just for 5 minutes. Go right now. You'll be glad you did. 

Ok.
Back, now? You're smiling, right? So...ready for the second lesson?

2) Fall is beautiful because the trees are not worrying about tomorrow. 


They are giving 100% of everything they have. Trusting that God knows best. Enjoying the day. Knowing that winter will come, and they will be able to rest, renew, and refresh. In the spring they will put all of their energy into budding. The trees don't know about half-measures. They live. Fully. Every season. No matter what that season brings. Early frost? Trust God. Extra weeks of sunshine? Trust God. Tons of snow? Trust. Not enough? Trust. Rain, wind, snow, sleet... trust. 

Be 100% there, and trust God to replenish.
Then others will see the bright, colorful, amazing miracles produced by courageous faith.

Wow. What a lesson. From the trees.

"How many are your works, O Lord! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures." 
- Psalm 104:24


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your random thoughts, too!