Tuesday, November 13, 2012

conferring (part 1)

Hi.
I'm so glad you could come to our fall conferences. I'm looking forward to this chance to discuss your child's progress in my class this far, and to set some goals for the rest of the year.

I would like to ask you a couple of favors.

1) Please be clear about which of your children we are discussing. That would be the one in my class. I'm sure your older/younger child/children are also cute. You probably have videos on your phone you'd like to share. However, this time is dedicated to one particular child. Let's honor that child with our full attention.

2) When I tell you that your child is giving excellent effort, but is still failing to meet the standard, please believe that I'm not sugar-coating. If junior wasn't giving excellent effort I would tell you. Do not tell him that you expect him to work harder, and to change from D's to A+'s in the next 7 weeks of school.  It's not likely to happen. Instead, let's talk about strategies we can all use to help him be more successful.

2b) Improving those grades will require hard work. There is no getting around it. I will help as much as I can, but you and your child will have to do your part. This may require longer homework/practice time and additional parent involvement. The change you want to see will not happen with LESS work. So please do not ask me to reduce the workload.

3) Math looks different now than it did when we were in school. I'll be happy to explain it to you. I'm not saying it is better this way - or that it was better before. We really don't have time to discuss this. It was not a decision I made.

4) When I tell you your child is struggling with communication...wait! Listen while I explain. I actually mean that she is not writing full answers to questions requiring explanations -in all subjects. I don't mean she interrupts. Sure, she might try to, but I don't tolerate that from my students. Of course, now I see where she gets it!

5) If your child is stressing out about something in my class, please come prepared to tell me. Don't make me drag it out of you. If I don't lead with that, chances are she is putting on a "game face" at school, and I don't see any of that angst. I can't help if I don't know.

6) Remember, I'm staying late for your convenience. Please be on time. Or call if you are delayed.

Thank you,
Your partner in education.