Thursday, November 15, 2012

conferring (part 2)



Well, hello there!

It's been a while since we first met on back-to-school night in August.

A lot has happened in the 11 school-weeks since.

We've worked hard on math, science, social studies, reading, writing, and all that other "stuff" we do each day. I'd love to tell you all about it, but we only have 20 minutes. So I'll spend that time focusing on whatever it is that really stands out for your child.

It might be the way he works so very hard each day. On everything. Neatly. I am so impressed.

It could be the way she seeks out opportunities to apply what were learning to everyday life.

I'm really quite excited about the way he makes connections between our lessons and his tv shows or video games, and I'm likely to tell you about that.  It shows he's listening and thinking!

I might tell you about how she assigns herself extra practice each night in her areas of weakness, and then corrects them herself in the morning. I enjoy the time she and I spend figuring out what kind of mistakes she made, because I know she will not make that same mistake next time.

I am really looking forward to this chance to share how your child welcomed a new student, or helped a struggler, or showed compassion for someone having a bad day.

Of course, it's also possible I may have to share something you don't want to hear.

I know it's hard for you to hear these things about your little angel. I realize it might not be the first time, and that you were hoping this year would be different. I understand. I really don't enjoy those moments, either.
I work very hard with your child to overcome any obstacles to his learning.
If I'm sharing a concern with you, please take me seriously.

When I say he struggles to pay attention, I really mean he needs several reminders per minute to stay on task.

When I say she tends to be a bit social, I mean that she's talking way too much in class. Her behavior is distracting others.

When I say he doesn't handle mistakes well, I mean that when I correct him for anything (behavior or academic) he crosses his arms and sulks, and is then unable to learn anything for the rest of the day.

I know you know exactly what I mean. I've only been working with your child for 11 weeks, after all. You've been there for 11 years.

So help me out. Don't take it personally. It's not about you.
It's about your little darling, and how we can, together, make this a great year!

One quarter down. Three to go. Let's make them count.