Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving is a Choice (1Thes 5:16-18)

I have to warn you... this isn't going to be quite what you might have thought. It also might be a little long (surprise, surprise!).


Original Art by Paperbag Ninja. an old friend.
Isn't he talented?
This year, I'm choosing to be thankful. Choosing to be thankful, because it's a choice I have the power to make. And it's a good choice. "A thankful heart is a happy heart," right? (Can you source that one without google? I'll be impressed). 

Don't get me wrong. I have a lot to be thankful for, and I know it. 
Norman Rockwell. Another favorite illustrator.
Sadly, I did not know him personally.

I have a roof over my head.
I have a bed to sleep on. Blankets. Pillows.
I have food to eat.
I have a job that matters.
I have friends who encourage me.
I have family who love me.
I have faith that the God who set the world spinning has his eye on me.

So I'm not fussing. 
I have, however, been thinking a lot about how, um, nuanced the truth can be.





Because, you see... 
that roof  is my sister's. I'm thankful to have a place to stay. And excited to be part of some big things happening here. But I also miss having my own place.

the bed, well, it's not my own. It's warm. It's comfy. It's available. It works. 

the food... well, I sorta miss cooking (though the not choosing "What's for dinner?" That's quite lovely!). My sis would totally let me cook. If I got home at a decent hour. But she's a great cook, and I'm horrible at schedules. Oh, and the whole kids/family thing (cooked for a family lately? You know what I'm talking about). Yea.

the job?, teaching? I love the kids. Love them. I just wish the job was more like what I thought it would be. You know, projects, encouraging, laughing, inspiring. I never realized how much data management and testing there was to teaching. Probably because - way back when I first decided to do it - there wasn't! Oh, and it would be nice if it actually left me with something (like independence?) after I paid the bills.

and my friends.... Wow. My friends. I miss them ALL so much. I'm making new friends at my new job. Great people, with fun stories. But it's not as if you can just "click" right away with new people. So it takes time. And I recognize my own choices put me in that situation. So I'm practicing my patience. But I'd be lying if I denied that I'm also lonely. It's hard to get encouragement from folks you can't see or talk to. 

Of course, I do have my family. My sister, brother-in-law, and their great kids, who are sharing their space with me. My crazy parents, who make a point of seeing me for Christmas. My brother, his girl, and his baby (soon to be babies), who I can't wait to catch up with. And the farther... more distant family... Mimia, Grandpa John, aunts & uncles, cousins, babies... people who keep me in their hearts and prayers all the time. Of course, once upon a time, a long, long time ago a certain little girl thought that for sure she'd have her own family by now.  


Illustrated by Charles Schultz? Or the TV guys? 
If that's not in God's plan?  
Well, how can I fuss? I've got so much to be thankful for. 

I am blessed.
And I choose to remember that.
Today.
And tomorrow.
And every single day that passes.



Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love it. Eating. Hanging out with friends and family. Recognizing that another year has come and gone, and sooooooo much life has happened.Setting aside a whole day to actually say "thank you," to the Giver of Life.  Please don't feel sorry for me. That's not why I wrote this. I wrote this because I felt like it was important to be honest. Being thankful doesn't mean that you  naively gloss over the hard stuff, or that everything in life is rainbows and unicorns. Being thankful means that you faced reality, put a smile on, and chose to slowly, carefully, deliberately count your blessings day-by-day.

I know God's got a plan. I might not always like it - just like stubborn little girls don't always like daddy's suggestions. But He's always been there for me. So I trust. The bills do get paid. The roof does not leak. I'm safe. I am loved. 

I am blessed. 

The maker of the cosmos wants to have Thanksgiving dinner with me, face to face, someday. He's promised never to forget about me, even while He seeks out other guests. In fact, He's saving me a special place at the table. 

I am blessed. 
And for that I truly am thankful. 


Rejoice always. Pray continuously. Give thanks in all circumstance. For this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thes. 5:16-18
DaVinci. Not an illustration. But fitting, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your random thoughts, too!